Wednesday, January 30, 2013

WITW#10): A little Homage to Dietrich Bonhoeffer


A part that has stuck with me of late is that "One must obtain oneself at cost of oneself"
This is so often misunderstood, that life and death are two sides of the same coin. Each breath brings death to what has past, and each inhalation brings a new creation, in which we have been given a new abiding chance, to follow the instructions of our master.
Again, I will share that the 20th century martyr Dietrich Bonhoeffer wrote that "When Christ calls a man; he bids him come and die"
Bonhoeffer returned to Nazi Germany to lead the "Confessing Church", and spoke against Hitler and was banned from speaking. Later he was arrested and spent time in 9 differrent prisons and camps before being hung on April 9, 1945, on direct orders from Heinrich Himmler.
He was in New York being pleaded with not to return, but he followed that call to it's inevitable conclusion. When I read his slim volume "To Live Together" I could not be think of us, following Mr. Gurdjieff. Every page shouted it loud and clear. But to obey that call if it should come?
Who could do that? Only a MAN.
He who is called but shirks is not only a coward and traitor, but inherits the death of the dirty dog.
At least I see and understand my cowardice. It is a never ending pain; an abiding suffering of my minuscule self.

No comments: